- The Chupacabras of the Rio Grande (The Unicorn Rescue Society, #4). Co-authored by Adam Gidwitz. Illustrated by Hatem Aly. (April 2019)
- Lords of the Earth (October 2016)
- GARZA TWINS Series
MYTH AND LEGEND
- Feathered Serpent, Dark Heart of Sky: Myths of Mexico (May 2018)—Kirkus Reviews’ Best YA Books of 2018 That Feed Imaginations; 2018 Texas Institute of Letters Award for Best Young Adult Book
- Ghosts of the Rio Grande Valley (September 2016)
- Border Lore: Folktales and Legends of South Texas (June 2015)
- Creature Feature: 13 Frightening Folktales of the Rio Grande Valley (December 2013)
- Mexican Bestiary (2012)
- They Call Me Güero (October 2018)—2019 Walter Dean Myers Honor Book for Outstanding Children’s Literature; 2019 Pura Belpré Honor Book; 2019 Claudia Lewis Award for Excellence in Poetry; 2019 Tomás Rivera Mexican American Children’s Book Award.
- Shattering and Bricolage (June 2014)
- Clockwork Curandera (coming 2021 from Tu Books)—illustrated by Raúl the Third.
- Rise of the Halfling King (coming September 2020 from Cinco Puntos Press)—illustrated by Charlene Bowles.
- Chupacabra Vengeance (February 2017)
- Strange Texas Tales That Never Die Volumes 1-4 (October 2014)
- The Seed: Stories from the River’s Edge (2011)—with Angélica Maldonado
- The Sea-Ringed World: Sacred Stories of the Americas (coming in 2020 from Levine Querido—A translation of Diccionario de mitos de América by María García Esperón.
- The Route of Ice and Salt (coming in 2020 from Innsmouth Free Press)—A translation of La ruta del hielo y la sal by José Luis Zárate.
- Snake Poems: An Aztec Invocation (March 2019)—Translations into Nahuatl of Francisco X. Alarcón’s original poems for this 25th anniversary reprint of his seminal collection.
- El verano de las mariposas (July 2018)—A translation of The Summer of the Mariposas by Guadalupe García McCall.
- Flower, Song, Dance: Aztec and Mayan Poetry (August 2013)—2014 Soeurette Diehl Fraser Award for Best Translation.