- The Chupacabras of the Rio Grande (The Unicorn Rescue Society, #4). Co-authored by Adam Gidwitz. Illustrated by Hatem Aly. (April 2019 from Dutton Penguin.)
- The Hidden City (September 2018)—Garza Twins #3
- Lords of the Earth (October 2016)
- A Kingdom Beneath the Waves (April 2016)—Garza Twins #2
- The Smoking Mirror (March 2015)—Garza Twins #1. 2016 Pura Belpré Honor Book
MYTH AND LEGEND
- Feathered Serpent, Dark Heart of Sky: Myths of Mexico (May 2018)
- Ghosts of the Rio Grande Valley (September 2016)
- Border Lore: Folktales and Legends of South Texas (June 2015)
- Creature Feature: 13 Frightening Folktales of the Rio Grande Valley (December 2013)
- Mexican Bestiary (2012)
- They Call Me Güero (October 2018)—2019 Walter Dean Myers Honor Book for Outstanding Children’s Literature; 2019 Pura Belpré Honor Book; 2019 Claudia Lewis Award for Excellence in Poetry; 2019 Tomás Rivera Mexican American Children’s Book Award.
- Shattering and Bricolage (June 2014)
- Clockwork Curandera (coming 2020 from Tu Books)—illustrated by Raúl the Third.
- Chupacabra Vengeance (February 2017)
- Strange Texas Tales That Never Die Volumes 1-4 (October 2014)
- The Seed: Stories from the River’s Edge (2011)—with Angélica Maldonado
- Snake Poems: An Aztec Invocation (coming 2019 from the University of Arizona Press)—Translations into Nahuatl of Francisco X. Alarcón’s original poems for this 25th anniversary reprint of his seminal collection.
- El verano de las mariposas (July 2018)—A translation of The Summer of the Mariposas by Guadalupe García McCall.
- Flower, Song, Dance: Aztec and Mayan Poetry (August 2013)—2014 Soeurette Diehl Fraser Award for Best Translation.
Books edited by David Bowles
- Along the River: An Anthology of Voices from the Río Grande Valley (2011)
- Along the River 2: More Voices from the Río Grande (2012)
- Along the River III: Dark Voices from the Río Grande (2014)
- Donna Hooks Fletcher: Life and Writings (2012)
- Stories That Must Not Die (2012-2013)—series editor
Books containing work by David Bowles
- A Larger Reality: Speculative Fiction from the Bicultural Margins—the story “Aztlan Liberated”
- Undead: A Poetry Anthology of Ghouls, Ghosts, and More (2018)—the poem “Night Axe”
- Here We Go: A Poetry Friday Power Book (2017)—the poem “Border Kid”
- Texas Weather: An Anthology of Poetry, Short Fiction, and Nonfiction (2016)—the poems “Borderland Sky” and “La gente en junio”
- Imaniman: Poets Writing in the Anzaldúan Borderlands (2016)—the poem “Braided Soul”
- Road Kill: Texas Horror by Texas Writers (2016)—the story “Shrine”
- Bearing the Mask: Southwestern Persona Poems (2016)—the poem “Potter at Chaco”
- An Amazing Eclectic Anthology (2016)—the poems “Crawlspace,” “A thing enskied,” and “Nepantlero”
- Star Quake 3: SQ Mag’s Best of 2014 (2016)—the story “To Brave the Mountains”
- Goodbye, Mexico: Poems of Remembrance (2015)—the poem “Por la libre”
- Twenty (2014)—the poem “Kintsukuroi”
- ¡Juventud! Growing up on the Border (2013)—the story “Oscar and the Giant”
- Pasta, Poetry & Vino Chapbook (2013)—the poem “A Mexica Woman Addresses Her New Son-in-Law”