In conjunction with Estudio Tlalli, I am establishing THE PATH GRANT, which will award annual $2500 prizes to new and emerging BIPOC women writers of speculative fiction.
To fund the grant, I am donating all of my royalties from my space opera quartet THE PATH (The Blue-Spangled Blue, The Deepest Green, The Rising Red, and The Swirling Black). I’ll add whatever remaining money required to award at least one prize per year.
I will also be seeking further funding to provide support to the maximum number of BIPOC women writers possible.
- BIPOC—any member of a community of color that doesn’t identify as white, principally Black, Indigenous, Latina, Asian, Pasifika.
- Women—any person who identifies as a woman, whether cis, trans or non-binary.
- New or emerging—a writer with no more than one book to her name and fewer than a dozen short fiction / non-fiction credits.
- Award date—January 1st of each year.
- Application process—There will be a short form to fill out on the Estudio Tlalli website. A writing sample and statement of creative philosophy will also be requested. The application window will run from June 1st to October 1st. A panel will review applicants (using a rubric that we will share in advance) and select recipients by December 15th of each year.
More details forthcoming!