- The Chupacabras of the Rio Grande (The Unicorn Rescue Society, #4). Co-authored by Adam Gidwitz. Illustrated by Hatem Aly. (April 2019)
- Lords of the Earth (October 2016)
- GARZA TWINS Series (middle-grade fantasy)
- THE PATH (space opera)
- The Blue-Spangled Blue (March 2021)
- The Deepest Green (forthcoming 2021)
- The Rising Red (forthcoming 2021)
- The Swirling Black (forthcoming 2022)
- My Two Border Towns (summer 2021)
- 13TH STREET Series
MYTH AND LEGEND
- Feathered Serpent, Dark Heart of Sky: Myths of Mexico (May 2018)—Kirkus Reviews’ Best YA Books of 2018 That Feed Imaginations; 2018 Texas Institute of Letters Award for Best Young Adult Book
- Ghosts of the Rio Grande Valley (September 2016)
- Border Lore: Folktales and Legends of South Texas (June 2015)
- Creature Feature: 13 Frightening Folktales of the Rio Grande Valley (December 2013)
- Mexican Bestiary (2012)
- They Call Me Güero (October 2018)—2019 Walter Dean Myers Honor Book for Outstanding Children’s Literature; 2019 Pura Belpré Honor Book; 2019 Claudia Lewis Award for Excellence in Poetry; 2019 Tomás Rivera Mexican American Children’s Book Award.
- Shattering and Bricolage (June 2014)
- CLOCKWORK CURANDERA series
- The Witch Owl Parliament (forthcoming 2021)—illustrated by Raúl the Third.
- TALES OF THE FEATHERED SERPENT series
- Rise of the Halfling King (October 2020)—illustrated by Charlene Bowles. Kirkus Reviews’ Best Middle-Grade Graphic Novels of 2020; the Center for the Study of Multicultural Children’s Literature (CSMCL) Best Multicultural Children’s Books of 2020
- Chupacabra Vengeance (February 2017)
- Strange Texas Tales That Never Die Volumes 1-4 (October 2014)
- The Seed: Stories from the River’s Edge (2011)
- The Immortal Boy (coming March 9, 2021 from Levine Querido)—A translation of No comas renacuajos by Francisco Montaña Ibáñez.
- The Sea-Ringed World: Sacred Stories of the Americas (coming February 23, 2021 from Levine Querido)—A translation of Diccionario de mitos de América by María García Esperón.
- The Route of Ice and Salt (coming January 19, 2021 from Innsmouth Free Press)—A translation of La ruta del hielo y la sal by José Luis Zárate.
- Me dicen Güero—The Spanish version of my book They Call Me Güero (November 2020).
- Snake Poems: An Aztec Invocation (March 2019)—Translations into Nahuatl of Francisco X. Alarcón’s original poems for this 25th anniversary reprint of his seminal collection.
- El verano de las mariposas (July 2018)—A translation of The Summer of the Mariposas by Guadalupe García McCall.
- Flower, Song, Dance: Aztec and Mayan Poetry (August 2013)—2014 Soeurette Diehl Fraser Award for Best Translation.