- [Hearts of Fire and Snow]. Co-authored by Guadalupe García McCall (coming 2024 from Bloomsbury)
- The Moon Conch. Co-authored by Guadalupe García McCall (coming 2023 from Bloomsbury)
- The ****** and the ****** (coming 2022)
- The Chupacabras of the Rio Grande (The Unicorn Rescue Society, #4). Co-authored by Adam Gidwitz. Illustrated by Hatem Aly. (April 2019)
- Lords of the Earth (October 2016)
- GARZA TWINS Series (middle-grade fantasy)
- THE PATH (space opera)
- My Two Border Towns (September 2021). Illustrated by Erika Meza.
- 13TH STREET Series (illustrated by Shane Clester)
MYTH AND LEGEND
- Feathered Serpent, Dark Heart of Sky: Myths of Mexico (May 2018)—Kirkus Reviews’ Best YA Books of 2018 That Feed Imaginations; 2018 Texas Institute of Letters Award for Best Young Adult Book
- Ghosts of the Rio Grande Valley (September 2016)
- Border Lore: Folktales and Legends of South Texas (June 2015)
- Creature Feature: 13 Frightening Folktales of the Rio Grande Valley (December 2013)
- Mexican Bestiary (2012)
- BORDER KID Series
- They Call Me Güero (October 2018)—2019 Walter Dean Myers Honor Book for Outstanding Children’s Literature; 2019 Pura Belpré Honor Book; 2019 Claudia Lewis Award for Excellence in Poetry; 2019 Tomás Rivera Mexican American Children’s Book Award, among other accolades.
- They Call Her Fregona (coming fall 2022 from Kokila)
- Shattering and Bricolage (June 2014)
- CLOCKWORK CURANDERA series
- The Witch Owl Parliament (coming October 2021 from Tu Books)—#1, illustrated by Raúl the Third.
- Robots of the Republic—#2 (forthcoming)
- The Green Realm—#3 (forthcoming)
- TALES OF THE FEATHERED SERPENT series
- Rise of the Halfling King (October 2020)—illustrated by Charlene Bowles. Kirkus Reviews’ Best Middle-Grade Graphic Novels of 2020; the Center for the Study of Multicultural Children’s Literature (CSMCL) Best Multicultural Children’s Books of 2020; 2021 Texas Library Association Little Maverick list; 101 Great Books for Kids List of 2020, Evanston Public Library
- Chupacabra Vengeance (February 2017)
- Strange Texas Tales That Never Die Volumes 1-4 (October 2014)
- The Seed: Stories from the River’s Edge (2011)
- La víspera del Orgullo (forthcoming 2022)—A Spanish translation of ‘Twas the Night before Pride by Joanna McClintick. Illustrated by Juana Medina.
- El Parlamento de Lechuzas—the Spanish version of my graphic novel The Witch Owl Parliament (coming October 2021)
- El ascenso del rey enano—the Spanish version of my graphic novel Rise of the Halfling King (September 2021)
- Mis dos pueblos fronterizos—the Spanish version of my book My Two Border Towns (September 2021). Illustrated by Erika Meza.
- The Immortal Boy (March 2021)—A translation of No comas renacuajos by Francisco Montaña Ibáñez.
- The Sea-Ringed World: Sacred Stories of the Americas (February 2021)—A translation of Diccionario de mitos de América by María García Esperón.
- The Route of Ice and Salt (January 2021)—A translation of La ruta del hielo y la sal by José Luis Zárate.
- Me dicen Güero (November 2020)—the Spanish version of my book They Call Me Güero.
- Snake Poems: An Aztec Invocation (March 2019)—Translations into Nahuatl of Francisco X. Alarcón’s original poems for this 25th anniversary reprint of his seminal collection.
- El verano de las mariposas (July 2018)—A translation of The Summer of the Mariposas by Guadalupe García McCall.
- Flower, Song, Dance: Aztec and Mayan Poetry (August 2013)—2014 Soeurette Diehl Fraser Award for Best Translation.